Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (215) 864-7168
Toll-free: (877) 944-8396

White and Williams LLP

Practice Areas

Potholes: Property & Personal Damage in Pennsylvania

Blog Category:
Daniel J. O'Brien
Comments (0)

Pothole damage is one of the most common causes of single-car accidents in Pennsylvania. Winter weather causes these hazards to be hidden by snow and made worse by ice expansion. Come spring, many roads are littered with dangerous potholes.

Unfortunately for drivers, the state government cannot be sued for pothole damage to your vehicle. They can only be sued for personal injuries. Even more difficult is that the victim has to be able to prove that the State was aware of the pothole before their car accident. Only municipal governments can be sued for vehicle pothole damage, and only up to what your insurance deductibles cover.

A new iPhone application launched for residents of Pittsburgh, iBurgh, allows drivers to instantly report potholes to the city utilities department in hopes of getting them attended to quickly. City hotlines, as well as the pittsburghpothole website also allow for quick and easy reporting with the hopes they'll be fixed before more pothole damage occurs.

Philadelphia has its own program, Operation Smooth Streets where you can report a pothole, cave-in (sinkhole), or ditch that makes for unsafe driving conditions.

If you or your vehicle has suffered pothole damage, you may not have to foot the entire bill on your own
. A Philadelphia car accident attorney will know what rights you have, how your insurance company should handle your claim, and whether or not you have the option of suing the city or state for your pothole damage.

Contact White & Williams LLP today for a free case evaluation - 1-877-944-8396

Category: Premises Liability

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Potholes: Property & Personal Damage in Pennsylvania"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.