Many holiday decorations have the potential to be dangerous. Dry Christmas trees and candles pose a fire hazard and holiday lights can lead to fires as well as electrocution. Most often, people don't associate the holiday season and its festive décor with injury or death - but, unfortunately, it occurs more than you may be aware.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries related to dangerous holiday decorations, you should consult with a Philadelphia product liability lawyer
to discuss whether negligence played a part in your injuries and which parties should be held accountable.
According to various sources, the following statistics underscore the severity of dangerous holiday decorations:
- Candles - 12,000 fires, 150 deaths and nearly $400 million in property damage each year.
- Christmas trees - dried trees have been responsible for 200 fires annually, 15 deaths and property damage worth $13 million.
- Holiday decorating activities - these actually lead to 14,000 emergency room visits during the 2-month holiday season annually, mostly for cuts, falls, burns and shocks.
To reduce your risk of injuries from dangerous holiday products, you can take some simple steps that can drastically reduce your chance for an unexpected accident.
Use caution with the following holiday decorations, including:
- Christmas trees - if you buy an artificial tree, make sure it is fire resistant. If you prefer a live tree, make sure it is fresh.
- Holiday lights - purchase newer lights, which have safety fuses to avoid overheating.
- Candles - keep candles away from things that can catch fire, and when you leave the room, blow out the candle.
Most importantly, be sure to check consumer safety websites like the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to see if any of your holiday decorations have been recalled because of dangerous defects.
To learn more about dangerous holiday decorations
and product liability claims, visit our article library.
Contacting a Philadelphia Product Liability Lawyer
If you have been severely injured in a Philadelphia dangerous holiday decorations accident, you shouldn't have to suffer and pay for expensive medical bills that were caused by another person's negligence. Contact a Philadelphia product liability lawyer at White & Williams LLP today. We will provide a free, no-obligation consultation on your case - 1-877-944-8396.
Category: Dangerous Products Cases
To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."