Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (215) 864-7168
Toll-free: (877) 944-8396

White and Williams LLP

Practice Areas

A drunk driver t-boned my car in a car accident in Philadelphia and I was injured in the accident. Can I recover my damages even though I have limited tort on my car insurance?



Yes, you can.  Though you generally cannot sue for non-economic damages if you have limited tort on your Pennsylvania car insurance policy, there are a few exceptions where limited tort would not apply.  One of the exceptions is if the driver was convicted or accepts Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) for driving under the influence of alcohol.

In your situation, if the driver was intoxicated while driving, the police would have cited him.  If the driver is convicted or accepts ARD, then you would be able to bring a lawsuit against the negligent driver to recover your damages, including non-economic damages such as pain and suffering.

If you have further questions about your accident, please contact our Pennsylvania car and truck accident lawyers @ 877.944.8396.

Related PA car accident and limited tort legal articles:

*Published 9-7-12

Do I Have a Case?

Filling out this online form, and we will get back to you immediately to schedule your free case evaluation.Free · No Obligation

Our Offices

  • Philadelphia (*Primary)
  • 1650 Market Street, Suite 1800
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
  • Phone: (215) 864-7168
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions
  • Cherry Hill
  • 457 Haddonfield Road
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
  • Phone: (856) 317-3600
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions