Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (215) 864-7168
Toll-free: (877) 944-8396

White and Williams LLP

Practice Areas

I slipped and fell down a flight of steps in my apartment building. The wood on a step was decayed. When I stepped on it, the step broke and I fell down and fractured my ankle. Do I have a case?



Yes, if the stairway was controlled and maintained by your landlord.  In Pennsylvania, a landlord has a duty to protect his tenants from dangerous conditions in areas where he retains control.  These areas are often common areas such as stairways, passages, lobbies and other common facilities.  The landlord has the responsibility to keep common areas safe and free of dangerous conditions. Further, if the landlord knew or should have known about the dangerous condition by conducting a reasonable inspection, then he can be held responsible for your injuries.

If the stairway was in your apartment, it does not mean you do not have a case.  Other facts and details are needed to make a proper evaluation, such as whether you notified your landlord about the decayed steps prior to your accident.

Therefore, it is vital that you speak to one of our PA trip and fall accident lawyers about the details of your case.  More details and facts are needed to properly assess your case.

Related Pennsylvania Stairway Accidents Legal Articles:

*Published: 9-8-12

Do I Have a Case?

Filling out this online form, and we will get back to you immediately to schedule your free case evaluation.Free · No Obligation

Our Offices

  • Philadelphia (*Primary)
  • 1650 Market Street, Suite 1800
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
  • Phone: (215) 864-7168
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions
  • Cherry Hill
  • 457 Haddonfield Road
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
  • Phone: (856) 317-3600
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions