Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (215) 864-7168
Toll-free: (877) 944-8396

White and Williams LLP

Practice Areas

I was in a car accident and herniated a couple of discs in my back. I have limited tort. Does that mean I cannot sue for my injuries and pain and suffering?



Not necessarily.   In general, you cannot sue for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering if you have limited tort on your car insurance.  However, there are a few exceptions where limited tort may not apply pursuant to section 1705(d)(1) of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law (MVFRL).

For example, if the at fault driver's car is registered in another state, then limited tort would not apply.  Another situation is if the at fault driver was convicted of driving while intoxicated.  For other limited tort exceptions, click here to access our legal article: Pennsylvania's Limited Tort: When You Can Sue For Pain & Suffering (Part A).

You should speak to an experienced Pennsylvania car accident lawyer to discuss your car accident and find out whether one of the limited tort exceptions is applicable in your case.  We provide a free, no obligation initial consultation.

For more information about PA car accidents and limited tort, click on articles below:

Do I Have a Case?

Filling out this online form, and we will get back to you immediately to schedule your free case evaluation.Free · No Obligation

Our Offices

  • Philadelphia (*Primary)
  • 1650 Market Street, Suite 1800
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
  • Phone: (215) 864-7168
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions
  • Cherry Hill
  • 457 Haddonfield Road
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
  • Phone: (856) 317-3600
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions