Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (215) 864-7168
Toll-free: (877) 944-8396

White and Williams LLP

Practice Areas

I was in an accident with a government car. What are my rights?



Under Pennsylvania law, government entities are generally immune from liability, meaning that you can't sue the government in negligence cases.  However, there are some limited exceptions, one of which applies to car, bus and pedestrian accidents with a government-owned car or transit vehicle. 

In addition, because the government would be a party to the case, there are some specific requirements that accident victims must follow for these kinds of cases.  First and most importantly, there is a mandatory 6 month notice requirement.  An injured person must notify the correct government agency within 6 months of the date of the accident.  Also, that notice is required to contain specific information. 

Our recent article, In Pennsyvlania is the Government Liable for Car Accidents discusses these issues in more detail.

Do I Have a Case?

Filling out this online form, and we will get back to you immediately to schedule your free case evaluation.Free · No Obligation

Our Offices

  • Philadelphia (*Primary)
  • 1650 Market Street, Suite 1800
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
  • Phone: (215) 864-7168
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions
  • Cherry Hill
  • 457 Haddonfield Road
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
  • Phone: (856) 317-3600
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions