Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (215) 864-7168
Toll-free: (877) 944-8396

White and Williams LLP

Practice Areas

What should I do if I'm involved in a traffic accident?



There's not a moment to lose when you've been in a New Jersey traffic accident. Your first priority is the safety of yourself and your passengers and once the necessary precautions have been taken and medical needs are being tended to, what next?

Document and Report the Accident 

It's important to stay at the scene until police arrive, especially if anyone is injured or damages are likely to exceed $500. New Jersey law can impose punishment on drivers who leave the scene of an accident before law enforcement investigates. You may be subject to up to $2,000 in fines and 6 months in jail for such an infraction.

The attending police officer will create an accident report, but you should also document as much about the accident as you can
. Photographs of the vehicles involved, any injuries suffered, and the conditions of the area are all good to have later when building your case. You should also write a detailed account of the accident as soon as possible so you have it to refer to later on when your memory might not be as fresh.

As far as reporting your accident, most of the work is done for you through the police report, but you should contact your insurance company as soon as possible so they can begin investigating your traffic accident claim. Most police reports are available within 24 to 72 hours of your accident and should be turned in to your insurance company.

When dealing with the initial questioning in a police report and when reporting your accident, do not admit fault to anything
. New Jersey is a no-fault state and the more you say in reports, the more damage you may do to your traffic accident claim.

Contacting a New Jersey Traffic Accident Attorney

Because of New Jersey's no-fault laws, your own car insurance will be responsible for paying most of your damages from your traffic accident. Depending on your coverage, this may not be enough compensation to cover medical bills, car repairs, and lost wages. It also usually does not take into consideration any extended damage, such as permanent disability or lengthy rehabilitation.

You should consider speaking to a New Jersey traffic accident attorney for information about filing a traffic accident claim to recover damages for injuries, property damage, and suffering. An experienced New Jersey traffic accident attorney like the team at White & Williams LLC will take personal interest in your case and help you every step on the road to recovery. Contact us today for a free case evaluation - 1-877-944-8396

Do I Have a Case?

Filling out this online form, and we will get back to you immediately to schedule your free case evaluation.Free · No Obligation

Our Offices

  • Philadelphia (*Primary)
  • 1650 Market Street, Suite 1800
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
  • Phone: (215) 864-7168
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions
  • Cherry Hill
  • 457 Haddonfield Road
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
  • Phone: (856) 317-3600
  • Toll Free: (877) 944-8396
  • Directions