If you cook chicken, like many Americans across the country, you may want to check if the chicken in your freezer has been recalled. Last week, there were three chicken recalls from three different companies.
Last Wednesday, Aspen Foods issued a recall of nearly 2 million pounds of chicken due to possible salmonella contamination. The recalled chicken involves 1,978,680 pounds of frozen, raw, stuffed and breaded chicken produced between April 15 and July 10 with “best if used by” dates between July 14, 2016 and October 10, 2016.
The possibly contaminated chicken products were shipped across the country and have the establishment number “P-1358” in the USDA inspection mark. There were several brands associated with the recall:
Three people in Minnesota were infected with salmonella after ingesting the contaminated foods.
In the same week, there was another massive chicken recall from Barber Food. About 1.7 million frozen, raw stuffed chicken products were also recalled due to possible contamination of salmonella.
Salmonella can cause a bacterial foodborne illness which may lead to symptoms such as diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever within 12 to 72 hours after exposure.
On the same day, there was another chicken recall, except the concern was with staphylococcal enterotoxin contamination rather than salmonella contamination.
Murray’s Inc., a company in Lebanon, PA, recalled approximately 20, 232 pounds of gluten-free breaded chicken nuggets due to contamination of staphylococcal enterotoxin. The chicken has the establishment number “P-516” inside the USDA mark of inspection and was shipped to an establishment to be distributed nationwide.
The recall involves 12-oz. boxes of “Bell & Evans Gluten Free Breaded Chicken Breast Nuggets” with a “Best By” date of March 25, 2016.
Ingesting food contaminated with staphylococcal enterotoxin causes food poisoning. Symptoms manifest themselves fairly quickly, some within 30 minutes. People typically experience several symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. The illness is usually mild and most patients recover after one to three days.
Related: PA Food Allergy Lawsuit - Accidental Exposure To A Food Allergen At A Restaurant A PA food allergy injury lawyer discusses a patron’s legal rights if exposed to a food allergen.
Daniel J. O’Brien, Esq., an experienced personal injury lawyer, has helped individuals with food allergies who were negligently exposed to food allergens. If you have questions about a food allergy case, call to schedule a FREE consultation. 877.944.8396