In Salem, Oregon, a 7 year-old from Harritt Elementary School saved his best friend who suffered an allergic reaction after eating Nutella at lunch.
The friend, a 6 year-old boy, has a severe tree nut allergy. He ate another boy's Nutella spread, a hazelnut cocoa spread, which he thought was chocolate.
The 7 year-old boy knew about his friend's allergy since meeting him in kindergarten and noticed that his friend was complaining about his stomach feeling strange after eating the Nutella. His quick thinking led him to pick up the Nutella, read the nutrition label and realize that there were hazelnuts in the spread.
The 7 year-old boy told his friend to stop eating and alerted a teacher. The friend was then taken to the office and treated with medication that the family provided. He was saved from having a severe allergic reaction. He could have suffered an anaphylactic shock, which can be fatal. Luckily, the 6 year-old boy walked away with some hives.
With the prevalence of kids having food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, whey or other foods, many schools have established policies to protect children with food allergies.
Many schools have a policy that kids cannot share their food. Another policy is to have allergy friendly eating areas where children can sit with their friends so long as everyone at the table has food that doesn’t trigger a reaction. Some schools do not even allow kids to bring food with peanuts in it.
Unfortunately, as much as parents with food allergic children take every precaution to prevent their kids from ingesting foods that trigger allergic reactions, accidents do happen as a result of someone else's negligence.
If you or a loved one has suffered serious illness as a result of ingesting or coming into contact with tree nuts or peanuts, feel free to contact our food allergy lawyers for a free, no obligation consultation @ 877.944.8396. Our law firm has the experience and resources to handle food allergy cases against food manufacturers, restaurants and more.