An 18 year old Georgia girl died earlier this month after she suffered from a severe allergic reaction. She was allergic to peanuts, and she ate food that was cooked in peanut oil. She did not know that the food was cooked in peanut oil and went into cardiac arrest soon afterwards. The 18 year old was on a ventilator in an ICU at a local hospital. Sadly, she passed away 6 days later.
A 17 year old high school student from Michigan died after suffering from a suspected allergic reaction while on a school bus on November 12, 2015.
The 17 year old had a known allergy and his mom suspects that his allergic reaction was caused by peanuts. According to the school’s superintendent, the 17 year old told another student on the bus that he thought he was having an allergic reaction and that he could not breathe.
A 16 year old junior from Colorado died in September after eating s’mores at a homecoming bonfire. The junior was allergic to peanuts and took a bite of the s’more which contained peanut butter. He then went into anaphylactic shock and died. The boy’s mom said on her Facebook page that she has tried to convince school officials to make schools peanut-free since her son was in preschool.
These recent food allergy deaths are especially tragic. Parents of childen with food allergies cannot be with their children 24/7 and accidental exposures can and do happen. If accidental exposures are due to someone’s negligence, such as a restaurant or school, parents may have legal rights.
FREE Consultations- 877.944.8396